McGregor Primary Elementary School is the first school most children will see when they reach 4 years old. This school is for students from Pre-Kindergarten (aged 4) to Grade 4 (aged 9) and will eventually move on to Davenport Public School for Grade 5, and eventually East Elgin Secondary School for Grades 9-12.
McGregor Public School was named after long-time principal Dan McGregor in 1870. In 1890 a kindergarten class was started and it was not until 1969 that the original building was replaced by a more modern structure. Few changes were made over the years but in 1951 a six-room addition was built. In 1969 a very large addition replaced the original building including 14 classrooms, a library, resource centre, a seminar room, several supply rooms, a health room, a guidance room, and teachers' offices. By 1972 the school had 500 pupils and in the following years, the number of pupils continued to grow, so during the late 80's and early 90's, nine portable classrooms were added. In 1994 grade 5 and 6 pupils from McGregor were moved to Davenport in order to relieve overcrowding.
© 2005 - 2015, Town of Aylmer Log In