Audubon International Certified WCAG2 AA Energy Conservation and Demand Management

Home | Heritage Buildings | Baptist Church

Baptist Church

The church was built more than fifty years after the Baptist Faith was founded in Aylmer by a travelling gospel man, Reuben Crandell. He became the first pastor in 1816. A small meeting place and schoolhouse was built in Orwell the next year. As membership increased after a revival meeting was held by various pastors, a wood frame church was built in Aylmer in 1844. Later it was named the Regular Baptist Church of Malahide and Aylmer.

In 1868 a building fund was started for the new building. Beneath the cornerstone of the church was a cavity constructed to hold a historical sketch of the day, including newspaper publications. The cornerstone was laid on July 28, 1870 by William Buck of Brantford, president of the Regular Baptist Missionary Convention of Ontario.

Community Life

Culture & Arts
Community Organizations


Maps & Brochures
Festivals & Events
Sports & Recreation

Town Hall

Clerk's Office
Operations Department
Planning and Building
Finance & Taxation


Business & Commerce
Aylmer Business Directory
Business Development
New Businesses

Contact Us

46 Talbot Street West
Aylmer, Ontario N5H 1J7
Tel: (519) 773-3164
Contact Directory

The provision of email addresses on this website does not equate to express or implied consent for Commercial Electronic Communications.

Site last updated March 22, 2018, at 10:28 AM

Internet Advisor

© 2005 - 2018, Town of Aylmer   •   Log In

Share |

WCAG 2.0 AA badge

^ Top of Page   |   Site Map   |   Privacy Policy   |  Accessibility  |   Printer Friendly Version