Audubon International Certified WCAG2 AA Energy Conservation and Demand Management

Home | History in Aylmer | The Founding of Aylmer

The Founding of Aylmer

The Founding of Aylmer

Visit Aylmer Ontario and get your picture taken with the The Founding of Aylmer plaque next to Aylmer Town Hall.

The Founding of Aylmer

In October, 1817, John Van Patter, an emigrant from New York State, obtained 200 acres of land and became the first settler on the site of Aylmer. During the 1830's a general store was opened and village lots sold.

Originally called Troy, in 1835 it was renamed Aylmer after Lord Aylmer, then Governor-in-Chief of British North America. By 1851 local enterprises included sawmills and flour-mills powered by water from Catfish Creek.

Aided by easy access to Lake Erie, Aylmer became by the mid-1860's the marketing centre for a rich agricultural and timber producing area. Benefiting greatly from the construction of the 145-mile Canada Air Line Railway from Glencoe to Fort Erie, Aylmer became an incorporated village in 1872.


Community Life

Culture & Arts
Parks
Community Organizations

Visitors

Maps & Brochures
Attractions
Festivals & Events
Sports & Recreation

Town Hall

Clerk's Office
Operations Department
Planning and Building
Finance & Taxation

Business

Business & Commerce
Aylmer Business Directory
Business Development
New Businesses

Contact Us

46 Talbot Street West
Aylmer, Ontario N5H 1J7
Tel: (519) 773-3164
Contact Directory


The provision of email addresses on this website does not equate to express or implied consent for Commercial Electronic Communications.

Site last updated November 23, 2017, at 10:27 AM

Internet Advisor

© 2005 - 2017, Town of Aylmer   •   Log In

Share |

WCAG 2.0 AA badge

^ Top of Page   |   Site Map   |   Privacy Policy   |  Accessibility  |   Printer Friendly Version