Reporting to the CAO, this position is responsible for all planning functions and development within the municipality including policy formulation and implementation, development and local land use regulations that supports a progressive local economy. This position will also lead and promote economic development within the municipality by maintaining an environment geared to retaining existing business and pursuing new business opportunities for the public and private sector. The successful candidate will develop and maintain a marketing plan for the Town of Aylmer and establish an active relationship with existing business to encourage business retention and development. The position is responsible to oversee and provide direction for building and construction, by-law enforcement activities and municipally owned facilities.
The preferred candidate will have completed post-secondary education in public or business administration, Urban Planning or related field with a minimum of five years related experience. Experience with municipal economic development and marketing plans will be considered an asset.
The applicant must possess strong management, administrative and leadership skills. Demonstrated competence in strategic planning, problem solving, budget preparation and decision making are also required. Excellent oral and written communication skills in all mediums, with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, management and Council is vital.
2016 Salary range: $78,637 - $95,550
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a confidential application to:
The Corporation of the Town of Aylmer
Attn: Human Resources
46 Talbot Street West
Aylmer, ON N5H 1J7
Application Deadline: September 2, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Town of Aylmer is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for the recruitment process. Applicants are requested to make their needs known in advance.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
Position: Director of Planning and Development
Department: Planning and Development
Reports to: Administrator
Purpose: Responsible for overseeing all planning functions within the municipality including policy formulation and implementation, development and local land use regulations that supports a progressive local economy. This position will also lead and promote economic development within the municipality by maintaining an environment geared to retaining existing business and pursuing new business opportunities for the public and private sector. Responsible to oversee and provide direction for building and construction, By-law enforcement activities and municipally owned facilities.
• Preparation and submission of the annual business plan and budget (operating and capital) for the Planning & Development Department; participation as required in the review and approval process with Town Council.
• Monitoring of the performance of the Planning & Development Department against business plan and budget; review of variance reports with initiation of corrective action as necessary.
• Development and recommendation of new or revised policies for the Planning & Development Department.
• Participation as a member of the Corporation’s Senior Management Team; act as a project leader (when assigned) on corporate-wide improvement project(s).
• Identification and tracking of best practices and trends/advances in the fields of land use planning, site plan control and development proposal review.
• Tracking of demographic changes and area economic development; preparation of short-mid-long range land use plans; recommendation of planning objectives and strategies to the Administrator and Council for Official Plan updates.
• Establishment of operating procedures, work methods and standards covering the services delivered by Planning & Development; monitoring of operations against standards with initiation of corrective action as necessary.
• Review, process and approval of development applications on a timely basis in accordance with established Town zoning guidelines and By-Laws.
• Enforce and interpret the Planning Act, Municipality’s Zoning By-Law and Official Plan.
• Prepare Site Plan, Development Agreements and Subdivision Agreements where Municipal By-law applies.
• Prepare and schedule tenders in accordance with the Municipal Purchasing by-law and manage vendor contracts and relationships.
• Establish an active relationship with existing businesses, both industrial and commercial and provide expertise as required.
• Encourage the retention of existing businesses and the establishment of new diversified business through the creation of a business friendly environment.
• Provide economic development strategies and studies as required.
• Conduct external advertising/promotion campaigns to promote residential and business growth/expansion.
• Establishment and implementation of a quality assurance program covering service delivery by the Planning and Development.
• Oversees municipal property projects and maintenance of municipal facilities and leases, building and construction, By-Law enforcement through the Chief Building Official.
• Participates in programs to promote residential, commercial and industrial interests and developments.
• Representation of the Department with individual citizens, community groups/associations, developers, commercial interests, architects, engineers, consultants and the written and electronic media.
• Liaison with regulatory officials/agencies in the planning and development fields.
• Liase on behalf of the Town with developers, contractors and government departments and agencies.
• Perform other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
• A Manager of the Town of Aylmer is expected to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act along with the Town of Aylmer’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
They must take every precaution reasonable in circumstances for the protection of workers.
• All Managers are expected to perform workplace inspections (set up annual schedule). They must conduct information sessions (safety talks, staff meetings), accident investigations and employee training. They are also responsible for correcting substandard acts or conditions, as well as commend employee health and safety performance, and perform employee safety observations. Information and instruction must be provided to workers to protect their health and safety.
• Managers must ensure that the work environment is maintained in a healthy and safe condition, and make workers aware of all potential and existing work-related hazards. They must provide ongoing safety education and evaluate the health and safety performance of their employees. Also, must ensure that first aid facilities and personal protective equipment are provided and used properly along with any and all protective devices. They are responsible for reporting and investigating accidents, determining the cause and initiating/recommending any corrective actions necessary. A supervisor must also actively participate in the Early and Safe Return to Work program to ensure that employees return to work in a safe and timely manner.
• Post-secondary education in public or business administration, Urban Planning or related field.
• 5-7 years of relevant Planning experience.
• Valid Class G Driver’s Licence.
• Leadership, strategic or business planning and policy development experience.
• Demonstrated oral and written communications skills.
• Proficiency in personal computer applications (word processing, spreadsheets).
© 2005 - 2016, Town of Aylmer Log In